The Inconvenient Truth about Canola Oil .
[Here is some excerpts from an article by Small footprints Family ]
Canola oil is cheap to produce, so they’ve spent a lot of money trying to convince you to think Canola is a “health oil” so that consumers, restaurants, institutions, etc. will buy it up as their main oil of choice.
Canola oil is made from the seeds of a plant called rape, which is in the turnip family. Since the Industrial Revolution, rapeseed oil has been an important component of lubricants for ships and steam engines, because unlike most oils, it sticks to wet metal.
Unfortunately, about two-thirds of the monounsaturated fatty acids in rapeseed oil are erucic acid, a 22-carbon monounsaturated fatty acid that had been associated with Keshan’s disease, which causes fibrotic lesions on the heart.
In fact, most Canola oil today comes from genetically engineered seed so far deviated from natural rapeseed that it can be patented.
Canola oil has more detriments than it does benefits.
The reason that extra virgin olive oil is good for you is that it is usually cold pressed without the use of heat and solvents to aid extraction. Canola oil, on the other hand, is typically extracted and refined using high heat, pressure, and toxic petroleum solvents such as hexane, which is known to cause nerve damage in humans. Almost all Canola oil undergoes a process of caustic refining, degumming, bleaching, and deodorization, all using high heat and questionable chemicals.
(If your food requires hexane, degumming solvents, bleaching and chemical deodorization, should you be eating it?)
Even worse, all of the high-heat, high-pressure processing with solvents actually forces some of the omega-3 content of Canola oil to be transformed into trans fats! According to Dr. Mary Enig, Nutritional Biochemist, “Although the Canadian government lists the trans fat content of Canola at a minimal 0.2 percent, research at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found trans fat levels as high as 4.6 percent in commercial liquid Canola oil.”
In 1996, Japanese scientists announced a study wherein a special Canola oil diet had actually killed laboratory animals. Reacting to this unpublished, but verified and startling information, a duplicate study was conducted by Canadian scientists, using piglets and a Canola oil-based milk-replacer diet. In this second study, published in Nutrition Research, 1997, the researchers verified that Canola oil somehow depleted the piglets of vitamin E to a dangerously low level.
Any “food” substance that depletes vitamin E rapidly is extremely dangerous. Vitamin E is absolutely essential to human health. It is critically necessary in the body when processed fats are eaten because Vitamin E controls the lipid peroxidation that results in dangerous free-radical activity, which in turn causes lesions in your arteries and other problems.
Canola oil now has been shown to be a very heavy abuser of Vitamin E, with the potential for rapidly depleting the body of this important vitamin.
Research also shows that canola oil causes detrimental changes to blood platelets, and it shortens the life span in rats that are prone to stroke if it is the only oil in the diet. It also appears to impede growth which may explain why it is not allowed in infant formula.
- Oils need to be from foods to be edible , not plants so to speak . Olive oil comes from olives , peanut oil from peanuts etc . What food does canola oil come from ?
- There are oils called essential oils that you use externally by rubbing them on the bottom of the feet for healing the body . They are used externally, not internally, and are from plants .
- Again, it’s unbelievable how even “health” food stores that serve hot foods [ bar] use canola oil in everything they make . That’s why I don’t eat out .
- As usual it ‘s about money , as one of the 1st points in this post stated, canola oil is cheap to produce and buy , so that is why restaurants use it . It always comes back to 1 Tim 6 : 10 .
- I would say from bringing it up to people even in health food stores , like 50 to 65% of people ,don’t know or realize how bad canola oil is .